Friday 26 April 2013

From Google Earth To Reality.

Well where do i start.  Hopefully there are people out there who will find my trials and tribulations as interesting as the research, travel and reality of getting to a site.  Something that started out as a way of just getting fit on a cycle ride has developed into a quickly growing passion where i combine all areas of interest for me, namely research, photography, history and anything connected to the military.
As i mentioned, finally getting off my ass to sort myself out with a semi fitness regime by going out cycling along the Kennet And Avon Canal stirred something inside me.  The pain of hauling myself around the countryside by the canal and stopping off for a ciggie to gather my breath (!) led to me coming across a Pillbox where i could actually get up close and personal.
To some they are living space, a stop off for a bit of pointless graffiti, a respite from the weather and no doubt used to get amorous.  To me they are sat showing evidence of a time when there was a possibility of invasion inland and some of the Pillboxes where places strategically along the canals which were supposedly the natural defensive point where an invasion force could be hindered, slowed down and hopefully stopped.
Using google earth as a starting point i now plot my recce after work to get to the sites closest to my work place, and on days off work, plan my time in advance to get to a place of interest.





That's me off on one now.  A stirring, a glint of passion and something to aim for.  How did i know that this would start me off on a learning curve of information concerning British battle defence works.  A pillbox is a pillbox or so i thought.  The above example is actually clean both internally and externally, a rare blessing indeed.   Asking my mate who was out with me cycling that day - i asked if there are any more around.  Being familiar with the area and showing my deep ignorance, i was informed there were.  Happy days.  Onto the next and i can forget that pain in my left knee, the thirst and the feeling of an aimless pain barrier i need to hit.


I have eventually got used to being ill prepared for the trips out, no torch, wearing shorts and either getting caught in the brambles, stung by the nettles and told to man up.  Having got to a site it's such a shame not to document the inside and get up close to the wear and tear and ageing process.  Moss, crumbling concrete, rotting wood, rusty metal hinges, structural failure and subsidence all take their toll.  That and the ever increasing need for housing mean some are positioned in a damned inconvenient place and need to be knocked down.  Others are being reclaimed by nature or put to use as housing for the local bat population.

No comments:

Post a Comment